Ready for holiday nails?!
BOOM. One of my projects this December was to create a series of candy cane inspired nails, and I’m pretty proud of the outcome! Let me just tell you a few things I learned through this month-long experience. First, you can’t buy candy canes one by one, so if you’re in need of a peppermint stick (or 5), come on over! Second, it is nearly impossible to pose your hand in the exact right light and location 4 separate times over the course of a month! We’re talking 50-60 takes each time. Getting that down, in and of itself, is one of my proudest accomplishments thus far in my blogging career!
I made it work… eventually!
Despite the abundance of candy canes and photography struggles, I really enjoyed creating these designs. It was fun finding a style that was representative of the classic spiral look, but had a modern twist! I paired an angled french tip with a striped accent nail for a cohesive and festive mani.
This mint manicure was a very exciting one for me to create because the colors really represent a modern Christmas. Soft mint and touches of bright green next to a rich scarlet are a new take on classic red and green. Any time I can simplify and modernize something, I’m happy!
I definitely used way too many polishes to name over the course of December (the usual favorites were included like Essie, Julep, Ciate)! But like always, loved them all!
Despite yellow being one of my least favorite colors, I think this guy was one of my favorites in the end! Clean, crisp, bright and happy! Not particularly “traditional Christmas,” but still fun!
What is your favorite holiday-inspired nail design? Happy Reading!
The day has come to officially welcome winter. I am so excited for the rest of 2014 and start of 2015!
Wishing all of you a wonderful winter season! Happy Reading!
Some gifts are not meant to be stuffed into a stocking in any way, shape or form (for example, Gone with the Wind). But there is a golden handful of items that exist to be the quintessential stuffers. One of my favorites happens to be half of my blog’s namesake: nail polish!
I spent most of my holiday gift guide finding unique and cute gifts book worms will love, so now I’ll take a moment to put the other half of my blog in the spotlight! Nail polish is wonderful for procrastinators (you know who you are!!) because you can find it almost anywhere, at any price point! Grab a fab bottle of Sinful Colors glitter at Target for under 2 bucks, or lust over a bottle of Chanel at a department store. There are colors and brands for everyone, and that’s what makes nail polish such a versatile gift.
Budget-friendly – Any drug store or Target has a wide variety of brands and colors to choose from. Whether you go with a classic like Essie, or fan fav like Sally Hansen, you will find what you’re looking for!
Tried & true – Julep is an oldie but goodie for me. I’ve been a Maven for almost two years, and have amassed a huge collection. Their bottles have a sleek design, and the formula of their polish has improved greatly over the years. You can even gift your monthly box to someone (which also makes it perfect for birthdays, just sayin’).
Splurge-worthy – If you’re looking to spoil that special someone, go with Butter LONDON. Since the start of my nail polish obsession, I’ve gazed longingly at their gorgeous bottles and silky smooth finish each time I’m in Nordstrom or Ulta. It wasn’t until recently, though, that I can say I’m a proud owner. And the brand really does live up to the price and hype! It applies perfectly, and the colors are so rich! Another splurge-worth gift I adore is anything Cath Kidston. They make my go-to travel nail kit, and everything comes in perfect, feminine patterns!
What are your favorite brands to gift? Happy Reading!
What is a niche blog without a holiday gift guide? Not much, I can assure you! I’m happy to introduce the very first Novels and Nail Polish Gift Guide for book worms and polish lovers alike. ENJOY!
- Litographs The Great Gatsby Book Poster ($24) – A good book is a work of art, but this takes it to a whole different level! The Litographs book posters use the text of classic novels and turn them into a gorgeous, visual display of the book. Grab this for the artsy-fartsy book nerds in your life!
- Litographs Temporary Book Tattoo ($5/set of 2) – I adore these temporary tattoos from Litographs! I joined the lucky group of backers for their tattoo Kickstarter campaign, and am now a part of the world’s longest temporary tattoo chain. These tattoos are made to be entertainment quality, just like the ones makeup artists use in the movies and TV shows. They apply easily, and if you’re a commitment-phobe, you’ll finally be able to live out your tattoo dreams!
- Nails Inc Winter Wonderland ($29) – There are two main reasons I love NailsInc. One, the polishes apply beautifully. Two, their new bottles are absolutely gorgeous! I definitely bought this set for myself on Black Friday, and it is perfection for the holidays! For ladies that want to sparkle and shine their way through December, these are a must!
- Rifle Paper Co. Puffin in Bloom Collection ($16 each) – Those who are familiar with my previous post about cover redesigns know my love for the Anna Bond designed covers runs deep! Whether you’re looking for shelf candy or actually want to read these classics, they’re a must-have for any serious book collector.
- Fangirl ($19) + Mint Polish in Original Mint ($12) – If you love YA Fiction, chances are you love Rainbow Rowell, or have at least heard of her. She’s written a handful of incredibly popular and moving stories, and Fangirl was the first, and favorite, I’ve read of hers! The cover is the perfect mint, so it’s no surprise that I paired it with Mint Polish’s Original Mint! I am a huge fan of this brand and their products, and if you’re going for mint, why wouldn’t you grab it from a company who shares the name?!
- I’ll Give You The Sun ($18) + Essie Polishes in Capri, In The Cab-ana & Blanc ($8.50) – I’ll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson was one of the most highly anticipated YA novels of the fall. It’s two stories in one, each half told by a brother and sister. It’s high on my TBR list, especially because I already have a couple of great ideas for a cover-inspired manicure! I paired Essie polishes with it because the brand is one of my go-to lacquers. White, aqua and orange effectively capture the essence of the cover, without looking like a circus!
- AngeliqueInk Custom Book Stamp ($40) – I received this stamp for my birthday six months ago, and it quickly became one of my prized bookworm possessions. The simple type paired with the custom hand-lettered calligraphy embodies everything I love in design. Stamps like this will bring the biggest smile to any book hoarder in your life!
- R. Nichols READ Candle ($45) – How many people would raise their hand if I asked who loves the smell of libraries and old books? A TON, I’m sure. If you’re one of those bibliophiles, this beautiful book candle will be the perfect addition to your reading nook!
- ThinkGeek Book Pillows ($10) – Pillows are important, but they’re not all created equal. That’s where these ThinkGeek book pillows come in! This set is their holiday collection, and they’re completely and totally necessary for your next all-night read-a-thon!
- Hogwarts Travel Posters ($15 each) – Harry Potter. Minimalist travel posters. Enough said, my friends.
Tell me, what’s on your Christmas list? I’m always looking for more book/nail polish things to add to my already massive collections! Happy Reading!
There is so much to be thankful for in my life currently. I have the most incredible family, a job I love, friends I can count on no matter what and enough nail polish to last for a long time! But there’s one other thing that has done so much for me and asked nothing in return, and it’s books. I wanted to take the time today to shine the spotlight on a couple novels and series that have meant so much to me through the years.
First, I want to send my love and prayer to the community of Ferguson, and say that I’m Thankful for the Ferguson Public Library for knowing that books can change and save lives.
What can I say about the Harry Potter series that hasn’t been said before? I was one of the lucky ones that grew up as Harry, Ron and Hermione did, and I can honestly say that I don’t think my love of books would be what it is today without this series.
Gone with the Wind was the first classic that I truly fell in love with, and it gave me a story that I can come back to time and time again. And with her sassy and bold personality, Scarlett is my favorite literary heroine!
The Hunger Games series came to me when I needed it most. I’d just started college and recently moved away from home. On top of that, the end of Fall Semester brought a breakup for me and my then-boyfriend. I wasn’t happy, and I was looking for something to pull me out of that really hard time. That was The Hunger Games for me. My best friend let me borrow it, and it was so incredible, I went out and bought it for myself! Catching Fire and Mockingjay were no less amazing in the following years, and the movies have added, not taken away, from their magic.
What books are you thankful for? Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Reading!
Halloween is purely a fun holiday. Fun to dress up. Fun to eat candy (and get that sugar high). And of course, fun to dress up your NAILS! There are so many designs and colors and directions your spooky manis can go in. This year, I did two manicures inspired by All Hallows’ Eve.
Dotted Candy Corn
Candy corn and Halloween go hand in hand. I’ve seen so many white, orange and yellow striped manicures over the years, and I really wanted to come up with something a bit more unique. So you know what that means… POLKA DOTS!
Classic white is the perfect base for an ombre yellow to orange polka dot design that feels candy corn but isn’t cheesy in-your-face, which is way more my style! Inspired by, not copy cat!
I was so drawn to a cute, flirty mani version of Frankie I saw last month, and couldn’t wait to do my own version. While it was so much fun, it was really difficult because of how thick the nail polish got by the end. Because of that, the nail pen would catch and get stuck, leaving the black lines a little bit uneven for my taste.
In the end, though, I loved the color combo and overall feel of I achieved with the final look!
What were your nails dressed up as on Halloween this year? Happy Reading!
First things first, I want to wish everyone a very happy weekend!
Second, for all my fellow bookworms out there… Happy National Book Lovers Day! Have an unexpected journey today!
Now, about the title of this post. If you haven’t seen, I created a Facebook Page for Novels and Nail Polish! If you enjoy seeing pretty book and nail polish pictures & learing about fun book/nail polish-related news, head over there and like the page!
Also, stalking is allowed, if not encouraged, on all social media platforms:
What is your favorite social media platform? Happy Reading!